Bacteria and other germs in food can cause food poisoning. This causes gastrointestinal symptoms, mainly vomiting and diarrhoea. Ensure a sufficient fluid intake. To prevent food poisoning, be careful when buying, preparing and eating food. Consult a doctor if the symptoms don’t abate after a few days.
Causes and treatment
Food that is contaminated by bacteria can cause food poisoning. The agents include:
- Bacteria that inhabit food
- Poison produced by bacteria (toxins)
Further treatment by your doctor / in hospital
The condition usually heals by itself and medication is seldom needed.
- Blood tests
- Stool analysis
- Intravenous fluid replacement
- Medication (antibiotics)
What can I do myself?
- Drink plenty of water and tea
- Rest your body
- Eat easily digestible food (e.g. rusks, soup)
When to see a doctor?
- If symptoms continue for longer than 2 to 3 days
- Bloody diarrhoea
- If small children, pregnant women or older persons are afflicted
Food poisoning, poisoning, Lebensmittelntoxikation