Summer drinks: refreshing recipes for hot days
The summer heat brings us all out in a sweat. All the more reason for us to keep our liquid levels topped up by drinking enough. The best thirst-quenchers are water, isotonic drinks for sport, or a refreshing and delicious home-made drink. Our team shares their favourite summer recipes. By the way: if served in a pretty glass with a matching straw, the drink is not only a pleasure to the palate but to the eyes too.
Tip: For extra refreshment, add herbs like mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena or a slice of lemon, orange or grapefruit.
Summer drinks lemon iced tea
Ingredients for approx. 2 litres
- 1-4 teabags green tea or
- 1-2 tbsp. fresh green tea
- 1 good handful of fresh mint
- 1 lemon
- honey, sugar or similar to sweeten
- Infuse the green tea in a sieve in hot water. Add the mint.
- Remove the green tea from the mixture after about 5-6 minutes, leaving the mint to infuse a little longer.
- Squeeze lemon and add juice.
- When everything has cooled down, strain the tea and store in the refrigerator.
- Store in a preserving jar with a slice of lemon, a few fresh mint leaves and ice cubes. Enjoy!
The uncomplicated cranberry and lemon drink
- cranberry juice
- lemon juice
- mineral water
- mint and berries
Mix everything together according to your own taste and enjoy.
The exotic: Coconut water and pineapple drink
Ingredients (for 2 glasses)
- 200ml pineapple juice
- 280ml coconut water
- 1 lime
- pineapple slices (amount is up to you)
- ice cubes
Mix the ingredients and serve cool.
The Egyptian holiday drink will give you the travel bug
Slightly sour, slightly sweet and with a kick of ginger, the drink is a hit with the whole family.
Ingredients for 1 litre
- 3cm thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
- a handful of karkade (dried hibiscus flowers)
- 1-2 sprigs of Moroccan mint (whole leaves)
- 1/2 - 1 fresh lemon
- Grate the ginger. Add extra ginger if you like it hot.
- Place the karkade, mint and ginger in a heat-resistant jug, fill to a third with boiling water and leave to infuse.
- After 10 minutes, fill up with cold water. Juice the lemon and add.
- Add ice cubes and honey according to taste.